Home ~

Woodville Walled Garden

Woodville Walled Garden

Woodville

About Us

Woodville House is set at the foot of the Slieve Aughty Mountains in South East Galway. The Walled Garden at Woodville consists of 1.5 acres and has been beautifully restored with colorful herbaceous borders, espaliered fruit trees, vegetable garden, rose garden  and serene water – fountain.

Another feature of the garden is a surviving Dovecote which is one of the few remaining “Garden Follies” in the West of Ireland and is now home to a family of white fantail doves. The adjoining Stables of cut stone exhibits the history of Woodville and surrounding locality.

The museum has on display, old photos of various members’ of the Persse family, including Adelaide Lane nee Persse, mother of Hugh Lane the famous art collector. Various books belonging to the family including one signed by Lady Augusta Gregory, dated 1898.

Numerous letters from family members dated from the beginning of the last century, old receipts, vintage farm machinery and other artifacts. All revealing an eye catching view of life in South Galway at the turn of the last century.

History

A visit to Woodville House Walled Garden will take you on a journey through the 18th century as it was once home to two prominent Galway families.

The first family, the D’Arcy’s, were one of the “Tribes of Galway City”, resided at Woodville between 1750 and 1879. Robert was the most colorful character of the family, as he was the Land Agent for the first marquis of Clanricarde, Ulick John de Burgh, between 1828 – 1860, including the Famine period

In 1904 Harry Persse brother to Lady Augusta Gregory took up residence at Woodville under a lease for a period of 39 years. Their family home Roxborough is just 1 km from Woodville. Unfortunately the Land League was very strong in this region at the beginning of the 20th century and Harry Persse was boycotted. He remained on at Woodville until 1916.

The present owner’s grandparents Patrick and Maria Donohue came to live at Woodville in November of 1916. It is from the memories of their oldest daughter Maureen that we gather information of what was in the garden at the time her parents came. It was mainly a fruit orchard and she told us that all the fruit trees were labeled. In 2005 when we were restoring the walled garden we unearthed a label inscribed “Apple Ripston Pippin” which is a rare apple variety. In 2008,Richard Persse a grandson of Harry Persse who now resides in England  planted a Ripston Pippin in memory of his family in the Walled Garden at Woodville.

 

Services/Facilities

  • Free parking and toilet facilities on site.

  • We offer tea/cake in the garden weather permitting.

  • Gift shop and plant sales in the stable area beside the museum.

Opening Hours and rates

April to October, Daily from 11am – 5.30pm

One can visit the garden outside these hours by appointment.

Directions

Woodville House Walled Garden is situated approx 2km from the village of Kilchreest, which is on the N66 route from Loughrea to Gort.

GPS: 155,227 – 215,242

Contact us

Margarita Donohue – 087/9069191

Website: http://woodvillewalledgarden.com/

Email woodvillegardens@gmail.com

Share

Copyright © 2010 The Lady Gregory and Yeats Heritage Trail. All rights reserved.